I was a Preschool Teacher for 4+ years, but decided that I needed a change of pace. I went on a search for something new through Indeed.com in hopes of finding something for me to do. After a couple of weeks, I saw a job posted in Centralia, which never happens. I read through the job description and applied for it!
I had my interview with Janeka, which I thought went well, and I was hoping to get a call back from her. After a couple of days, she called me back and I was excited to start working for SMS Marketing Group and her.
During my first day, Janeka filled me in on everything that she needed help with and what I should be doing. I was going to be calling people, helping organize information, setting up/designing ads and more. I knew I could do all of that, but this is about is what I wish I knew before starting in the field of Digital Marketing.
1) Not everyone knows about Digital Marketing. Yes, everyone knows of Facebook and Google, but not everyone thinks about ads they see on Facebook or other apps. It wasn't until I started Digital Marketing that I paid attention to the ads that are on my social media. You can be scrolling through Instagram and come across a post that looks normal, but it's actually an ad from a company you might of show interest in. Another side of this is people don't understand how important it is. Facebook reaches people from Instagram all the way to The Weather Channel and Google reaches people from Amazon to Spotify. There are so many websites that you don't even think about that will have the ads you shared on the original website. (Facebook or Google) That is so important to small businesses because you are getting a large area to promote your business to!
2) Instagram Posts are difficult. I know how dumb that sounds, but they are! When doing a business Instagram, you must know what to post and when to post it. Certain times of day are better than others because more people are active on social media compared to others.
3) What Digital Marketing Is. I know it seems obvious, but it really isn't. I thought it was going to be just a focus on social media, but it is so much more. We work with social media, google ads, emails, and texting. We spend so much time working to create something the people want to stop, look, and click.
4) Know your clients. You must be willing to get to know your clients, what they do, and help them. You can't look at this job as just a paycheck because no one wants to work with someone who doesn't care about them or their business. You will spend many days talking to someone, who might not yet be a client, getting to know their business, so you can build a relationship and work together well.
5) You must be flexible. Social Media is constantly changing! There are new apps made every single that can quickly change the world of social media. We have Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, but now we have apps like Tik Tok. You have to be able to work with new apps and learn who the audience is on those websites.
These are the things that I wish I knew, but like I've learned the world of Digital Marketing is always changing, so you always have to be learning. Read new articles or blogs to keep up with the newest trends and what people are interested in.